Moving to a new house often is stressful. So to keep your excitement of moving to a new home intact, hiring a mover is the best way. The moving company can save you time and energy and efficiently move your belongings to the designated place. The national average cost of movers is $1400. This price ranges from $800 to $2500.
But what factors can affect the rate, and what cost differences exist between local and long-distance moves?
Let’s find out.
Average Cost of Movers in 2023
The average movers per hour for the local move costs between $50 and $70. A labor of two movers working for 4 hrs ranges from $200 to $400. The long-distance move also includes other expenses such as transportation, material, gas, etc.
Many factors affect the hourly rate. Some of the general aspects are–
Distance is the main driving factor in the differences in the average cost of movers per hour. The average price for movers out of state costs much more than the move in the same city.
Note: The more the distance from A (location) to B (destination) = The more money you should pay
|Type of Move (as per distance)||Average Estimation (Low-High)|
(Source: Forbes, 2023)
b. Size of the move
The size or weight of your inventory is another cost factor. The movers will charge more to move a 3-bedroom than a studio apartment.
Note: The more inventory/belongings = More labor and equipment = More hourly moving rate
c. Time of year
Generally, the peak season for moving service is April through September. During this time, the hourly cost of the moving rate is substantially high. However, the off-seasons, like fall, winter, and spring, are when you can save money. Additionally, you can get cheaper prices on weekdays rather than weekends.
Example of average hourly moving rates in different regions of the country
|Region||Average hourly moving rates|
|Northeast||$110 – $130|
|Midwest||$90 – $110|
|South||$80 – $100|
|West||$100 – $120|
How the hourly rate may differ for local versus long-distance moves
Local Move (Intrastate: Move within the same state) – The average cost of professional movers in a local move is $1250 for 2-3 bedrooms. The price of a local move gets set based on a flat size per hour. The local hourly rate differs from state to state. If there are higher distance (per se 50-60+ miles) moves, then the cost focus shifts from flat size to the weight of the belongings. So, in this case, the standard hourly rate fluctuates.
Long-distance Move (Interstate: Move from one state to another) – The average cost of long-distance movers cost $4890, based on a 2-3 bedroom move for the weight of 7500 pounds within 1000 miles. The hourly rate of long-distance moves depends on the following:
- Weight of the shipment
- Labor costs
- Packing service
Let’s look at these factors in more detail below.
Average Cost for Movers Out of State
The following factors typically calculate the cost of a long-distance move:
a. Weight of the shipment
The weight of the belonging is the most important factor affecting the average cost for movers out of state. To determine the weight, the moving company may either weigh the shipment or estimate the weight based on the inventory list provided by the customer.
b. Labor cost
Labor costs are also important for the overall cost of a long-distance move. The moving company has to hire and pay its employees who will pack, load, unload, and unpack the items. The labor cost can vary based on the number of movers required for the job, the duration of the move, and the complexity of the tasks involved.
The mover’s distance is also a critical factor that fluctuates the average cost of a long-distance move. Moving companies usually charge higher rates for longer distances since transporting shipments across states or countries requires more fuel and other expenses. The distance factor may also affect the mode of transportation used for the move, such as whether it will get transported by truck, train, or airplane.
The average cost of movers for an out-of-state move
Here is the average cost for movers out of state based on the mile and the size of the move:
|2-3 Bedroom Move
|4-5 Bedroom Move
(Source: Forbes, 2023)
Other factors that affect the cost of an out-of-state move
- Additional services – Moving companies also provide additional services that affect the cost of an out-of-state move. Such as the following:
– Packing and unpacking services
– Storage options
– Furniture disassembly and reassembly
- Time of year – Move during peak seasons like summer or holidays can be more expensive due to the high demand for moving services. Conversely, moving during the off-season or in a less popular time frame can lower costs.
- Insurance coverage – The moving companies usually provide basic liability insurance for your belongings. But if you decide to cover the full value of your belongings, you can purchase additional insurance, which can affect the cost of an out-of-state move.
Average Cost of Local Movers
The average cost structure for local moves looks like this–
|Size of the move (as per home size)||No. of movers required||No. of hours needed for the move||Average Estimation|
|1-bedroom or Studio||2||4||$400|
(Source: Forbes, 2023)
The factors affecting the cost of a local move
- Distance between old and new residence – The farther the distance, the higher the cost of relocation.
- Amount of goods – The more items you need to move, the higher the cost of relocation. This case happens because more things need more packaging materials, transport space, labor, etc.
- Time of the year and day of the week – During weekends and summer, the move cost tends to be higher due to high demand.
- Type of moving service is chosen – A full-service moving company with packing, loading and unloading services is more expensive than renting a truck and doing the move yourself.
- Unforeseen delays or difficult access to property – These factors are outside customers’ control which also affect the cost of a local move.
The average move cost depends on distance, belonging, etc. So remember to research when hiring movers to get a fair price. Generally, reputable companies with good reviews provide quality services. However, negotiating with the movers for a better price is a must.
Hence, if you plan to move in 2023, budget the mover’s cost and do your research before finalizing the mover. By doing so, you’ll be able to have a stress-free move at a fairer price!